Tax Returns- In Addition to My Basic Records, What Records Should I Keep? (Part 1)

Following is a list of records to keep in addition to your basic income and expense records:

Alimony- If you receive or pay alimony, you must keep a copy of your written agreement (separation, divorce, support).

Business Use of Your Home – You may be able to deduct certain expenses connected with the business use of your home.  You need to keep records that show the part of your home that you use for business and the expenses related to that use.  This is not as easy as saying that you work at home.  See IRS Publication 587 on how to allocate expenses between business and personal use.

Casualty and Theft Losses- You must be able to prove that you had a casualty or theft.  Your records must be able to support the amount you claim.  For casualty loss, you need to prove: the type of casualty and when it occurred, the loss was due to the casualty and that you were the owner of the property.  For theft loss, you need to prove: when you discovered the property was missing, that it was stolen and that you were the owner of the property.

Child Care Credit- You must give the name, address, and taxpayer identification number for all persons or organizations that provide care for your child or dependent.

Contributions- You must keep records to prove the contributions you make during the year, cash, non-cash, or out-of-pocket expenses.

Afraid you may miss something?  We can help.

Call today.  Todd Courser 810-245-0813.

Leave a Reply

This blog is kept spam free by WP-SpamFree.