IRS Tax Resolution: Amend a return or not?

My name is Todd Courser. I do tax resolution work here in Michigan. I am an attorney and an accountant and have been doing IRS resolution work and also state of issue resolution work for many years. Back probably 18 or 19 years of resolving internal revenue services problems. Inside of this we are looking at we have talked about the idea of the IRS lets you know and they have identified that there are issues with the returning usually through the third party verification and so at that point you are either paying and you might dispute or agree but is just isn’t worth fighting. You write a cheque to pay one of the ways to do that is to of course to write a cheque or it’s to do an instalment agreement. We left that part out, but those are your two options.

Basically you pay whatever you owe. If you are not going to pay it, then you are disputing it.  This is always of course looking at the the fact that you owe and you are disputing it. Essentially at that point you are going to need to decide how exactly to do that if you simply can provide the evidence of course to as a basis to your dispute then provide the evidence and send it back and whatever fashion or form that is required to be able to document that in reality the Internal Revenue Service’s got this wrong when they say that you owe.

Generally that’s done on what they call 1040X it’s a filling an amended return. It’s an amended return to your 1040. You are going to amend your personal return and correct the issues. That’s the way that happens most things will get resolved one either one you will just pay it in cheque form some people won’t be able to do that they will put in place an instalment agreement. Some will choose to dispute, low level dispute they will simply provide the evidence and do 1040 and they will correct the return ok. We are going to talk about what happens when that isn’t possible or there is some other issues involved to it in the next video.


Leave a Reply